The heartbroken mother of a Sydney boy who died in a suspected electrocution accident at a Fiji resort has spoken out in the wake of the tragedy.
Cairo Winitana, eight, was discovered unresponsive in a garden bed at the Club Wyndham Denarau Island resort in Fiji on Thursday evening.
He was rushed to a hospital in Nadi but pronounced dead by medics.
His mother Amber De Thierry wrote a heartbreaking post on social media after the tragedy.
“I loved you my son from the moment I found out I was carrying you and will love you forever more my beautiful, beautiful blue eyes,” she wrote.
Loved ones have since set up at GoFundMe page to help the family pay to bring Cairo’s body home.
“As you could all imagine this is a very devastating loss for our family,” she wrote.
“We humbly invite you to offer support for both Amber and Clarke as they navigate through this unimaginable nightmare they are now forced to live with.
“We all know Clarke and Amber to be the most loving, kind hearted and genuine people.”
Friends of the family were also fast to offer their support.
“My heart aches for you our girl. We are here.. Always,” one wrote.
“Our hearts go out to all your family. Soar high little man,” another added.
Fiji police previously confirmed that Cairo, who is of New Zealand nationality but lived in Australia, may have been electrocuted.
“Initial information gathered is that the child was allegedly electrocuted however the post-mortem will have to confirm that,” a Fiji police spokesman said.
A spokesman for Wyndham Destinations Asia Pacific sent condolences in the wake of the tragedy.
“We are deeply saddened by the loss of this young life and offer our sincerest condolences to the family. Our thoughts remain with them during this difficult time.”
The resort management team said it is working closely with local police and authorities to determine the circumstances surrounding Cairo’s death, and are fully cooperating with the investigation.
Leave a Reply