Two young children in Darwin’s northern suburbs have been credited with helping to stop an alleged abduction of a five-year-old boy.
The alarm was raised about 3pm on Friday when police received reports the boy was being taken by his stepfather and a woman from an address in Nakara.
During the alleged incident, the boy’s mother reportedly attempted to intervene and fell from a moving vehicle.
A rapid response was launched by detectives who tracked the vehicle to Cox Peninsula Road, about 50km south of Darwin, where the child was allegedly recovered safe and well about 5.30pm.
On Sunday, a Northern Territory Police spokesman confirmed a 37-year-old man and a 56-year-old woman had been remanded into custody on charges of abducting a child and recklessly endangering serious harm.
Detective Senior Sergeant Scott Russell praised the bravery of a young boy and girl who saw the alleged abduction unfold and contacted authorities, providing crucial information.
“Police would like to commend the incredible actions of a young boy and girl who witnessed the incident,” he said.
“Not only did they contact police as the abduction was unfolding, they also passed on the vehicles details and registration.
“This information was vital in allowing our officers to begin tracking the vehicle quickly, resulting in a positive outcome.”
Senior Sergeant Russell said the child is currently in the care of family and his mother is expected to make a full recovery at the Royal Darwin Hospital.
Both the man and the woman are expected to face the Darwin Local Court on Monday.
Leave a Reply